Island Farm POW Camp, Bridgend
Hut 9, Island Farm POW Camp, CF31 3LG
Between 10.00 -12.00 and 14.00-16.00 hours
Sunday 25th September 2011
A rare opportunity to enter the compound at Hut 9, walk around the site and learn about its history. Due to the isolated location this is not suitable for disabled access and there are no public facilities. Parking is not available directly adjacent to the site. Booking is essential, please contact 01656 815214 to book.
Please see below for answers to the most commonly asked questions.
What do I get out of the event?
- The chance to access the compound, though not inside Hut 9 itself (due to the presence of a bat roost).
- Display boards, with history of the site & Hut 9.
- Talk to experts on the history of Island Farm Prisoner of War Camp, Hut 9, and current and future issues.
Why no disabled access?
- The only access at the moment is via a very rough footpath which is often very muddy and is surrounded by overhanging brambles. This can be very difficult even for the able bodied, especially after rain.
Why no public facilities, and why no toilets?
- The site is remote with difficult access.
- There is no electricity at site and no running water.
Note: that there are no public toilets in the immediate area. Local supermarkets have the nearest toilets facilities.
Where do I park?
- We would encourage as many as possible to park in town centre car parks and walk to the site (approx 25 mins)
- Parking is possible in the Science Park, Technology Drive (approx 10 mins walk)
- Please do not park on the main road (A48), it is a very busy and dangerous road.
- Please do not park in Island Farm Road, or Island Farm Close, this is a small cul-de-sac and we do not want to upset local residents.
What should I wear?
- Sturdy shoes are essential, as the footpath can get very muddy.
- Please do not wear your best clothes as the footpath goes through bramble bushes.
Why can't I go inside Hut 9?
- Access inside Hut 9 is not possible at the moment due to the presence of a bat roost.
Why do I have to book?
- The facilities on site at the moment are not adequate to cope with large numbers of people.
- We don't want to encourage hundreds of people due to the lack of car parking.
Where is Hut 9?
- The footpath to Hut 9 can be accessed from the A48 (between Ewenny and Broadlands roundabouts, on the left side of the road as you are heading towards Laleston) and will be signposted on the day. As mentioned previously the footpath is often very muddy and is surrounded by overhanging brambles. Parts of the footpath is also used by riders on horseback so please be aware that there may be others using the path.
If you are travelling by car from M4 (westbound) - Exit the M4 at Junction 35, stay in the left hand filter lane straight on to the dual carriageway - A473. Continue across the first two roundabouts along the dual carriageway to the third roundabout. Take the 3rd exit off this roundabout. At the mini-roundabout (near McDonalds and KFC) go straight across to the next roundabout (Ewenny Roundabout). For parking, take the first exit - B4265. After approx. 150m, turn right into the Science Park, where you can park either side of the access road. To get to Hut 9 from here, walk back to Ewenny Roundabout and turn left. The footpath is approximately 100m from Island Farm Road.
If you are travelling by car from M4 (eastbound) - Exit the M4 at Junction 37, go left on to the A4229, take 3rd exit on roundabout onto A48. Straight over the next roundabout, get in right hand lane and take 2nd exit at the next roundabout, continue along the A48, take 2nd exit on next roundabout. For parking - at the 3rd roundabout with traffic lights, get in right hand lane and take 3rd exit - B4265. After approx. 150m, turn right into the Science Park, where you can park either side of the access road. To get to Hut 9 from here, walk back to Ewenny Roundabout and turn left. The footpath is approximately 100m from Island Farm Road.